Oxon Hill Bicycle & Trail Club
<<  May 2018  >>
MAY METRIC Class ALL Approx. 32 -48 mi. 9:00 AM
from Cosca Park. This is the second of the Oxon Hill Bike & Trail Club's All Class Rides. "D" Class Ride considerably less miles and usually rides on Indian Head Rail Trail. Please stay posted for updated information. NOTE: This ride date & time is tentative.
Dir: From Beltway exit 7A go south on Md 5 (Branch Ave). Go 4 miles then turn right on Woodyard Rd. (Md 223) for 1 mile. Next turn left on Brandywine Rd for 1 mile. Bear right onto Thrift Rd. Go about 1.4 miles to Louise Cosca Regional Park. Right turn into the park, go past ball fields and tennis courts to parking at the pavilion. [map to start]
Unless otherwise stated, rides may be canceled if the temperature
is less than 40 degrees or the chance of precipitation is greater than 50% on www.weather.com during
the ride. Call the ride leader if in doubt.
- Prepare a cue sheet and/or map (either new or existing club route)
and scout the route before the ride. You may use cue sheets in the club's
cue sheet library. Other good places
to find cue sheets or to create a cue sheet are
- Submit the ride to the Ride Schedule with the online
Submission Form. Rides submitted will automatically
appear on the online schedule. To submit multiples rides, use your
browser's "back" button to return to the ride submission form.
- If you have a cell phone, include its number on the cue sheet and
have your cell phone on during the ride.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes before the ride start time.
- Have all riders sign a release
- Give all riders a cue sheet and/or map.
- Welcome the riders and brief them on details of ride stops, problems,
- Make sure the riders wear helmets.
- "Lead from the rear" or appoint someone to "ride sweep!"
- Ride at the advertised pace!
- Carry the sign-up sheet with you on the ride so that you have riders'
emergency contact information if needed.
- After the ride, post your ride report at http://ohbike.memberlodge.org/reports.
- Arrive early to sign-in and be ready to leave on time.
- Some starting points do not have restrooms, plan accordingly.
- Make sure your bicycle is in proper working order before you arrive.
- Carry a spare tube, patch kit, pump, water bottle and snack.
- Carry identification and emergency money.
- Sign a ride waiver and get a cue sheet and/or map from the ride
- Wear a helmet!
- Practice safety and obey all traffic laws.
- Do not "bike off" more than you can do. Go on rides within your
ability, interest and experience level. If in doubt, phone the ride
- Riders should maintain the pace as advertised. The rider may ride
faster or slower than this pace if s/he knows the route and advises
the leader accordingly. In this case the leader will not be responsible
for the cyclists safe return or completion of the ride.
- Riders should advise the ride leader if the rider will not complete
the ride or deviate from the designated route.
- Riders should warn nearby cyclists of road debris or, when in the
rear, warning leading cyclists of approaching motorists from behind.
- Riders should as simple courtesy help out others with mechanical
problems. Riders will try to help but there is no obligation to wait
for cyclists with major breakdowns.
- Riders should use common sense and courtesy.
home page: Oxon Hill Bicycle &
e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org